Re: Wood Shear Wall Nailing

FWIW, I always use 8d nails for shearwalls without too many problems. Most of the phone calls I get are in regard to Sill Nailing getting confused with "Shear Nailing"

Contractors see "SN" on a schedule, equate that as shear nailing (Known as Edge Nailing to us engineers) and complain that I'm making them uses SDS screws and 16's into studs.... then I explain that they need to re-examine the details...

"EN points to the nail on the wall sheathing into the double top plate. SN points to the vertical nail from the sole plate into the blocking or rim joist"....

"Oh"

-gm