Re: Storage Containers

Why do they have to have footings? I see shipping container sitting on concrete, asphalt and earth without any concern. It really depends on what they are being used for. If for storage, then it seems they go through a lot of movement when being shipped and now should they be on footings and be level.
Gary

Drew Morris wrote:
Tom Monti wrote:
I have a client that has been red tagged by the county for their use of storage containers on their property with out a building permit. These are the 40 foot containers that are used to ship products overseas. Does anyone know what would be required for a foundation for one of these containers? Are they designed to transmit their load via the corners only? I am thinking of concrete footings on each of the four corners might be sufficient. Thank You,
**I got involved with these a few years back, the city caught the owner with using some of these as storage. The end walls are some sort of moment frame. There should be a label/placard on the container that gives the allowable racking loads. I ended up using helical screw anchors at the corners and welding the end of the exposed anchor rod to a bracket welded to the container corners.**