RE: cable guardrails

In the bay area I have
but this is not for parking garages, you might try and call them to see if they deal with  this are maybe get a referral

I googled this, don't know anything about them

From: Andrew Kester, P.E. [mailto:akester(--nospam--at)cfl.rr.com]
Sent: Friday, July 25, 2008 11:35 AM
To: seaint
Subject: cable guardrails

Can anyone get me started with a link or PDF regarding cable guard rails?

The Arch details show cables vertically at 4" o.c. and these go through steel posts. There is a requirement on the drawing for a cable at 18" above the deck to withstand 6000lb lateral force. The spec says the top cable must support a lateral load of 200lb, standard code stuff.

We have done all types of misc handrails and guardrails, never anything for vehicles or with cables. I had always assumed this to be a bit of a specialty item, our client though is a general steel/alum fabricator not a specialty guardrail comany. They will not be able to provide any technical assistance. I know engineers who do parking garages also sometimes design the cable systems. Is this something I should pass onto a specialty engineer? This is a good ongoing client, and the relationship is important to me. If this stuff is relatively normal engineering with good tech info out there, I don't mind teaching this old dog new tricks...

Please CC me directly also, thanks in advance.

Andrew Kester, P.E.
Principal/Project Manager
ADK Structural Engineering, PLLC
1510 E. Colonial Drive, Suite 301