Re: Threaded ASTM A706 Rebars for Anchor Bolts

Yes, bashfully, the main motivation for doing this way is the
difficulties on applying ACI 318 Appendix D.

The task of calculating 1-1/4" diameter headed bolts to work with the
edge distance in a ring wall with so many reductions for blowout,
sidewalls blowout, .... and 0.75 cut on the seismic.  Deformed rebars
provide a much cleaner solution.

Your suggestion of using template for laying out the anchor bolts was
just what I have in mind.  It needs to be done one-way-or-another
1-1/4" dia. bolts or rebars.

The free software by Simpson Strong-ties is very good. However, it has
limited sizes (no 1-1/4).  On some occasions where high reductions due
to the spacing are required, Simpson will reject the spacings instead
of making an effort to squeeze in some tight spaces with high
penalties that, on theory, still can be calculated according to
Appendix D.

I like what Simpson Strong-tie has offered to us.  It is very nice.  I
print it out their results on paper and included it on my
calculations. Their format is the most readable among all the others I
have seen.

Thanks

Szuchuan Chang, SE