RE: ACI 318 App D, and wedge anchors

I'm curious on if you all are meeting the ductile failure requirements in high seismic zones due to Section D.3.3.4 .  I went through a series of calcs with the Hilti products and found that it was not possible to make the ductile steel elements fail with the current manufactured anchors.  I emailed Hilti tech support and they confirmed this is the case.  As such, if you have tension in your post installed anchors in high seismic zones, you are limited to providing either 2.5 times the anchors in a non-ductile failure mode, provide a link in the connecting element that will fail in a ductile manner before the anchor pulls out, or avoid post-installed anchors entirely if possible.

Jared Keyser