RE: MWFRS Method 1 Question

No, that was the reason I was asking. Ben answered it as I had expected; no limit to stories but height limited to 60-feet. This makes a big difference. Breyer makes it clear that the windows and doors can be ignored as long as they work for cladding and can be closed during a high wind event. This was one of those questions that I originally had about garages in which homeowners leave their garage doors open. I also had questions related to homes with patio covers that are exposed on at least three sides and Breyer explained this as taking the entire structure into consideration while the point being based on securing the living area against the wind force driven debris.

Breyer’s book helped me a great detail and while I would include Method 2 in my Multi-Lat™ 2008 software it appears that for most Lateral Force Resisting Systems where seismic may govern, there needs to be a reason to compare on an equal basis the Main Wind Force Resisting System (MWFRS). However, the kicker was the height limits and the number of stories.

Thank you both (including Ben of course) for your help with this. I appreciate the assistance.

Dennis S. Wish, PE

Dennis S. Wish, PE

California Professional Engineer

Structural Engineering Consultant