Re: footing edges

Those are usually privacy and daylighting setbacks. You should be okay with sub-grade work unless there is a utility easement.

-gm

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 5:03 PM, <ECVAl3(--nospam--at)aol.com> wrote:
I believe the original intent of the setback was to allow access for emergencies and help prevent fire from easily spreading to adjacent structures. I don't see how a footing below ground could interfere with access. I have designed many a footing that encroached into the setback without resulting in a plan correction.
S.Macie, SLO

I'm sorry – I did not state it correctly. There is a 5'-0" setback on the side-yards. This is, I assume, from the face of the exterior wall of the home to the property line. In the past, the building department would only allow the roof overhang to encroach into the setback by up to 18-inches. My question had to do with the building foundation. While the exterior wall is exactly 5'-0" from the property line, I want to offset the turn-down edge of a slab on grade (similar to the base of a "T" shaped foundation) and have the edge of the concrete footing 3-1/2" into the 5'-0" setback. I don't believe this is a problem, but wanted to verify if this is the case or if there is any specific section of the IBC 2006 that would restrict this encroachment?

Thanks Bob,

Dennis

From: Bob Freeman [mailto:robert.freeman(--nospam--at)idsse.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2008 3:52 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: footing edges

Hi Dennis:

If I understand your question correctly, the edge of the t-shaped footing should end precisely at the property line, unless your client wants to purchase adjacent lands.

When you mention setback lines, I think of zoning setbacks.  (Sometimes 6 feet from the property line, depending on your location.) It is acceptable to extend past a zoning setback line with a footing under ground, as long as face of the building wall is no closer to the property than zoning allows.  Sometimes municipal codes allow overhangs to extend into zoning setbacks.

Respectfully,

Bob Freeman, AIA, EIT

IDS Group, Inc.

(949) 387-8500