Sent: Monday, August 04, 2008 16:28
Subject: Anchor Bolt Pullout

Going through Appendix D of ACI 318-05, it appears the pullout strength of a hooked anchor bolt (D.5.3.5) is quite a bit less than that of a headed bolt (D.5.3.4) {8 times the bearing area of a bolt head or washer net area as opposed to 0.9 times the area of the hooked leg}
Am I reading this right? If so, it looks like they are trying to negate the use of hooked anchor bolts in tension.
S.Macie
SLO,CA
.