RE: Anchor Bolt Pullout

You are correct.  Testing has been performed that has verified that the hook is not very effective.  The tests I reviewed many years ago were performed at Univesity of Illinois.  James Fisher had a good article on this.  It is contained in DG 1 & 7 of the AISC design guides.  After observed failures in the '70's I stopped using hooked anchor bolts.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

From: ECVAl3(--nospam--at)aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 19:28:25 -0400
Subject: Anchor Bolt Pullout
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

Going through Appendix D of ACI 318-05, it appears the pullout strength of a hooked anchor bolt (D.5.3.5) is quite a bit less than that of a headed bolt (D.5.3.4) {8 times the bearing area of a bolt head or washer net area as opposed to 0.9 times the area of the hooked leg}
Am I reading this right? If so, it looks like they are trying to negate the use of hooked anchor bolts in tension.
S.Macie
SLO,CA
.

Get Windows Live and get whatever you need, wherever you are. Start here.