more aci 318

This bolt thing is becoming more frustrating.

I have been doing anchor bolt shear/tension calc for a 1000# piece of electrical equipment mounted on a pad with ½” dia. anchor bolts (manufacturers frame provides holes for ½” dia bolts). The pad is 8’ by 8’.

I have found that a 14” deep concrete pad with cast in place bolts embedded 8” is required for ductile failure, my closest edge distance is 18”. I cannot have brittle failure due to seismic category D.

What used to be a 30 minute calc for loading and bolt design has turned into hours of *&^$%#@ and a pad design that is embarrassing to provide the client and contractor.

Aaaargh !!

Mark D. Baker

Baker Engineering