Re: more aci 318 -- CMU v. CIP

In a message dated 8/5/08 3:50:54 PM, bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc writes:
Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
...I consider CMU walls to be *much* less dependable than CIP concrete walls.
Sort of an odd comment (to go with the odd font that I now appear to be using).

After all, a CMU wall designed for a given service should have equal reliability in comparison with a CIP concrete wall designed for the same service. Quality of construction is as much of an issue with the one as with the other, all other things being equal.

So what am I missing in your statement?

"should" is, I believe, the operative word.  I agree completely that both should be able to be designed (and constructed) to be equally adequate in a given situation.  My concern is that, in residential construction, quality control may sometimes be marginal, to put it mildly, possibly resulting in less than adequate construction.  My main concern is that CMU is, IMHO, more dependent on the quality of the field mechanic.  If I see rebar properly tied in place and then I see the stripped CIP wall and it appears to be sound I have a fair level of confidence that the construction is sound.  I can't say that about CMU construction, especially since one can seldom see the actual condition of the grout after placement.

Please note that I'm not talking about commercial construction with continuous special inspection, etc., which should have a significantly higher chance of success.

Ralph