From: Suresh.Acharya(--nospam--at)ci.concord.ca.us
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: hooked ABs
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 10:23:11 -0700

Harold & Andrew,

Are not the ACI Appendix D formulas specifically intended for standard welded headed anchors because the tests were done on these type of anchors? In the formulas, edge distances are measured from free edge to the center of bolts. Formulas give substantially greater pull-out and side-face blowout capacities if "Abrg" is increased (i.e. by using bigger washer plates), but the distance to the face of head/washer from free edge is never a variable in the formulas. Does that mean "Abrg" should be limited to the standard areas from PCI handbook in calculations, and the thickness of plates should match the standard thickness of heads?

Also, any oversized hole in the plate may affect the shear capacities.

Suresh Acharya, S.E.