re: ABs...

Thanks to Harold, Bill and Suresh for your discussion on ACI anchor bolts. Though at first it is a bit against my engineering common sense, I know understand what you mean when you say that bearing plates can actually REDUCE the pullout strength of the anchor bolts. Very interesting, call me a flip flopper but I have been convinced, and will no longer specify the oversized washers or bearing plates, just an unnecessary additional expense, though tiny. FWIW, I always design based on only the bolt head or nut, and just treated the plate as a feather in my cap, but as it turns out that doesn't really help.

Have a good weekend all,
Andrew

Andrew Kester, PE
Principal/Project Manager