From: Gordon Goodell
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 9:46 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: wood bearing problem

Good morning,
I'm working on a stick-framed, 3-storey mixed use bldg w/ an overhanging story (1 row of covered parking).  The plan is all open to allow maximum tenant flexibility.  The result is that what was a column line above lands on a stud wall, w/ column loads around 80 kips (incl. LL reduction).  This is a small town; you'd have to put everybody in the valley in the bldg to achieve the design load, but that's beside the point.  It's very difficult to make the bearing work where an 12x12 column transitions to a 5 ½" wide wall.  I can take the load--at worst I'll have to bury an HSS in the wall-but I'm wondering how to support the column.  Does it sound reasonable to use a steel plate to support the column above and then account for the eccentricity of load in the column below?  The framers will hate it, but I'm not coming up with other good options.  If I convince the architect to bury big wood columns in that wall I'll face the same problem (with more load) at the foundation.
thanks,
Gordon Goodell