RE: wood bearing problem

Even if you use a steel plate on top of the wall to distribute the load
along the top of the top plate, you'll need to create a solid line of
2x6 studs under the top plate to take care of bearing on the underside
of the top plate and the top of the bottom plate. If my quick calcs are
right, you'll need about 2' of built-up studs (16+) total to handle the
compression perp on the plates.

However, that should handle the eccentricity.

Will a flat steel plate be stiff enough to distribute the load? What
about a C-channel over the top of the top plate to provide some
additional stiffness to distribute the load?

HTH

Buddy

John "Buddy" Showalter, P.E.
Director, Technical Media
AF&PA/American Wood Council
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036
P: 202-463-2769
F: 202-463-2791
http://www.awc.org

The American Wood Council (AWC) is the wood products division of the
American Forest & Paper Association (AF&PA). AWC develops
internationally recognized standards for wood design and construction.
Its efforts with building codes and standards, engineering and research,
and technology transfer ensure proper application for engineered and
traditional wood products.

The guidance provided herein is not a formal interpretation of any AF&PA
standard.  Interpretations of AF&PA standards are only available through
a formal process outlined in AF&PA's standards development procedures.