RE: OSB Shear wall nailing

Not exactly.  Several things are going on here.

PS1 is a voluntary product standard that covers plywood

PS2 is a voluntary product standard that covers structural-use panels (which include plywood, OSB and composite panels).

The term “Wood Structural Panels” is defined in Section 2302.  The minimum standards and quality of “Wood Structural Panels” is covered in Section 2303, which references both PS1 and PS2.

APA Rated Sheathing, STR I could either be a PS1 or PS2 panel.  The key point here is the “STR I”.  If the panel doesn’t say STR I, then it falls under the “other” category in the shear wall and diaphragm table.

I don’t have a good feel on what Home Depot stocks.  I do know that we have a really hard time sourcing STR I panels (purchased on the open market) in the Northwest when we are conducting research on shear walls and diaphragms…

Tom

Thomas D. Skaggs, Ph.D., P.E.

Manager, Product Evaluation

APA