RE: Wind load design for Photovoltaic panel installations

Conrad,
I can't argue your points - they are well stated and while I would agree
with you, it is a moot point as the client found another engineer who has
taken a simplified approach to the problem that may not be compliant with
either of our views but will get the contractor's three projects permitted
over the counter.

>From my perspective, I had to view the practical solution and in the process
understood that there were other potential problems that needed to be
considered. Once I brought up my concerns about the capability of the
existing wood truss roof to carry the additional loads from the panels that
they were not designed for, the client decided their goal was to sell
photovoltaic panels and would therefore find an engineer willing to stick
his neck out and simplify the code back to the 97 UBC four line analysis
type of design.

This does not work for me. I won't put my stamp on anything that I believe
may be a risk unless I consider the alternatives. From what you have
written, the most accurate way to address the problem would essentially work
best if the industry establishes tables of wind values for various
conditions and provide the local engineer with the design loads in order to
allow the engineer only to address the ability of the roof framing
(especially if a metal side plate manufactured wood truss) to support the
reactions at the connections of the panel framework. This puts me in
agreement with your comments about the solar panel manufacturer's
responsibility to address the reserve capacity of the roof (if one exists).

The bottom line is that by the time the project came to me it had been
submitted to the building department and had received a list of corrections.
The client was not willing to take the time for me to come up to speed or to
consider the research that I would have suggested to assure that the roof
could carry the load - especially where the roof is flat and there may be a
ponding problem due to the original design based only on the original
materials used without consideration for what technology may bring in the
future.

Thank you for your response - I do agree with you but when it comes down to
a company with a product looking for a professional willing to stick their
potential liability neck out for a fee - they came to the wrong engineer.

Possibly Bob Garner can carry this further and I certainly would recommend
that you allow him to use your response since it takes the issue back to the
manufacturer's design stage to be more creative when addressing a retrofit
system on a tract style home or one constructed to the IRC prescriptive
standards.

Thanks again,
Dennis