Re: Lamella Structures

db,

To answer your question about engineering processes, no.  But I do have at my elbow a copy of the "Kidder-Parker Architects' and Buildings' Handbook" (no engineers need apply, apparently), Copyright 1884, 18th edition of 1944, which describes, on pages 1280 and 1281 (of 2315 pages, almost as thick as our code), the general construction, includes several details, and mentions several notable examples, including the 1928 Convention Hall in Houston and the National Exhibition Company arena in St. Louis.  The first paragraph states:

"A recent solution for the problem of spanning large floor-areas, where it is undesirable to use columns, is found in the Lamella roof.  This type of roof-construction was developed in Germany in 1923 and has, within the past few years, been extensively used in this country."

Perhaps the "design approach" was similar to that used for gothic cathedrals:  If it falls down make the next one stronger.

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA