From: Michel Blangy [mailto:mblangy(--nospam--at)satco-inc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 3:55 PM
To: Seaint@Seaint. Org
Subject: Allowable Holes/Cutouts in Wood Shear Wall Panels

Listers,

Can anyone suggest some guidelines for allowable holes/cutouts in wood
shear
wall panels? The maximum size cutouts I am concerned with are on the
order
of 12" diameter or 12" x 12" square. I am familiar with the type of
analysis
presented in the Seismic Design Manual,  but wonder if there are some
generally acceptable rules on maximum size and location that are not
cause
for the more rigorous analysis and how to reinforce at the location of
the
hole/cutout, if even required.

Thanks,

Michel Blangy