Re: Wind load design for Photovoltaic panel installations

Agreed.  A solar panel weighing 3 psf, standing off 6" from the roof surface having a pitch of 8:12, essentially takes the place of the 16 psf roof live load.  Once the panel is removed for a reroof, then the roof structure should still be adequate for a 16 psf live load, with a 7-day load duration factor (per NDS for wood) of 1.25.

Yes, if the panel is inclined near vertical to a "flat" roof surface, then, yes, the roof still needs to support the panel weights in addition to the standard roof live load.

I may have lost track of Dennis' original post, but it seems to me (at least in the project I am looking at) that the roof members see no difference in their initial design.