Re: South Australia practices

Conrad

I can't speak for the United States but here in Canada, only architects and engineers can seal drawings for large buildings. The provinces all adopt the National Building Code and may modify it to suit their own requirements and make it law, but generally outside of life-safety issues they are almost all identical. These codes allow small buildings and houses (under 600 sq metres and 3 storeys or less) to be built to prescriptive requirements and just about anybody can prepare the drawings for these. Large buildings are those over 600 sq metres or 3 storeys. Here in Ontario, the provincial government has mandated that (large) buildings for people e.g. residential, are to be approved by an architect whereas other buildings eg, factories, can be approved by an engineer or architect and certain buildings have to be designed by both, e.g. assembly occupancies; and generally non-building structures can only be designed by an engineer. Ontario does not seem to use building surveyors, but municipalities rather employ engineering or architectural technicians and/or technologists and/or engineers to do the functions you ascribe to building surveyors.

I believe the practise in the states are generally the same, with maybe more variation from state to state, as they have had more codes to follow. I believe the International Building Code is an attempt to bring in a single code.

Gary