Site Built Spiral Stair Case

I have been asked to provide calculations for this type of spiral stair twice. The first one was built (it looked great), and the inspector never asked for engineering. The second one I asked for a fee and time line the contractor couldn't stomach, so they built something else. So, I still don't know how to prove the design, but I have always been curious how to do it. I think given some time and research I could figure out the stresses. But, what are the allowable shear and torsion values for the plywood beam? This was always where I hit a dead end.
I'd be interested, Gerard, to hear how you handled this.

Dmitri Wright, PE
Cascade Engineering, Inc.
2459 SE TV Hwy, PMB #202
Hillsboro, OR  97123-7919
dmitri(--nospam--at)cascade-structural.com
503-846-1131