From: "Gould, Diane"
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Galvanized bolts req'd in PT wood?
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 15:29:19 -0700

2007 CBC/2006 IBC Section 2304.9.5 states that ?fasteners? for PT & fire-retardant wood shall be galvanized, stainless, silicon bronze, or copper.  2001 CBC/2000 UBC Section 2304.3 also stipulated this requirement.  On a wood-frame job currently in construction, we have pressure-treated sill plates and the inspector is saying that galvanized anchor bolts (sill bolts and hold-down bolts) are a ?code requirement?.

I understand the new preservatives can be much more corrosive than the old stuff, but was of the impression that bolts are of a large-enough diameter to not pose a concern.  I had thought I read that somewhere but I cannot find any published code language, commentary, or interpretations to support this position.  Also, I started thinking, what about the washer?  Is that a ?fastener??  It?s in contact with the PT wood - does that mean it needs to be galvanized too?  I could not find a definition of ?fastener? in the CBC/IBC.

I?ve been away from wood design for awhile and am feeling a little rusty, so I?m hoping someone can give me some guidance on this.

Thanks in advance,

Diane C. Gould, S.E.

Senior Structural Engineer

DGS-RESD-PSB

Design Services Section

707 Third Street, Suite 4-105

West Sacramento, CA 95605

(916) 375-4219 phone

(916) 375-4916 fax

diane.gould(--nospam--at)dgs.ca.gov

BUILDING GREEN  ?  BUYING GREEN  ?  WORKING GREEN

<< image001.jpg >>

Bart Needham, SE
Principal, nbse associates, inc.
civil & structural engineers