From: Drew Morris [mailto:dmorris(--nospam--at)bbfm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 11:43 AM
To: SEAINT
Subject: Pilaster retrofit

I have a project where the incorrect anchor rods where used at all the
braced bays.  Instead of 1" diameter F1554-36, they used 3/4" A36 (?)
headed studs.  I have no idea how this happened.  The owner has asked
whether some sort of steel saddle can be fitted over the top of the
pilaster.  There would be thru bolts from one side of the saddle to the
other side through the pilaster (16").  The side straps would be welded
to a plate on top that the column baseplate would be welded to.  We
typically show 1 1/2" non shink grout between the baseplate and the top
of the pilaster, so the top of the saddle will not affect any
elevations.

My question is, how do I look at the thru bolts and the forces on them
at the rod/concrete interface?  I can calculate the minimum number of
bolts using the allowable load on a bolt in single shear.  How do I look

at the bearing pressure between the threaded rod and the concrete and
its distribution from the side of the pilaster.  The bearing pressure
will be greatest at the straps and decrease towards the middle of the
pilaster.