Galvanized bolts req'd in PT wood?

Diane,

Another section of the code specifies that only steel or stainless steel is allowed for structural connections (sorry, I forget what section--I'm on 'vacation' right now, away from my codes).

If we are worried that enough moisture will wick up through the footings (or transpire through them) to require PT sills to prevent decay, is that not enough moisture to cause significant galvanic reaction over many years?

I agree with your interpretation of what the code says--I just do not believe that this requirement is adequate for the more aggressive preservative chemicals.

Borate PT lumber is the only type I specify for foundation sills. I do not require galvanized fasteners for borate-treated lumber. I have a big note on all my foundation plans saying if other PT chemicals are used, then *all* connectors that contact the PT lumber must be type 316 stainless steel; framing achors, shear panel nailing, nails driven through the mudsill into studs, anchor bolts, tie-down anchor rods, etc.

I see a huge class-action law suit over this in the future.....  yippee.

Thor Matteson
www.shearwalls.com

Thanks to everyone for the info and thanks also to Jeff and Thor for the =
helpful and informative links.  IMO, a strict reading of the code gives =
you a choice of using galvanized, stainless, silicon bronze, or copper =
fasteners w/ PT wood and doesn't specify a need for stainless with the =
more corrosive treatments.  But the table on pg 4 of the Simpson =
Technical Guide T-PTWOOD08 (this table is also in Simpson's hardware =
catalog) takes a much more conservative approach, recommending stainless =
for all but a few conditions.  I am still a bit stunned as I find it =
difficult believe the SE community at large is currently specifying =
stainless fasteners to the degree recommended in Simpson's table (which =
is in line with what Thor mentioned) - yet.  But, as I mentioned, I've =
been away from wood design for awhile so maybe this is just taking me by =
surprise and most folks are already on board with this.  Or maybe the =
next code cycle will include language that incorporates recommendations =
based on Simpson's and other research. =20
=20
Thor, what about the washers for the sill plate bolts (or any bolts for =
that matter)?  Would you use galv washers with borate treated wood, =
stainless with other treatments?
=20
Regards,
=20