RE: Slab-on-grade topping slab

Thanks for all the replies!  I appreciate the input since I don't have much experience in this type of slab scenario.

I've been basically using the ACI 360, 302 and 301 guidelines for a 2-course, Class 7 floor, which covers "heavy-duty industrial vehicular traffic, that is, hard wheels and heavy wheel loads."

Under ACI 302.1, section 8.7, it states that the topping course should have a minimum thickness of 3/4".  That's why I think that a 1" topping is ok, but again, I don't have much experience in these class 7 floors.

I'm definitely specifying the sandblasting, cleaning, scrubbing and removal of excess water prior to applying the bonding grout.

ACI 360, Section 8.4.6 states, "A bonded topping of shrinkage-compensating concrete should not be attempted as an overlay on a portland-cement concrete base slab.  The base slab restraint will negate the expansion action of the topping, leading to cracking for possibly delamination."

These ACI references don't mention anything about reinforcing.  I'm not sure that I can use WWF and micro fibermesh with this thin of slab.  Any other thoughts?  Maybe I should be specifying a a proprietary self flowing topping instead of concrete.

Thanks again for all the input!

Brian