RE: 1 Inch Topping Slab

I concur with Mr. Madden. 1 inch = too thin. It can be done at 1 inch,
Mr. Sprague has the right ideas, but it will be a bear to do right, and
you still have a huge potential for cracking as it shrinks, curling as
it dries abnd shrinks, and a potential service issue down the road when
it breaks up at the curled (delaminated) and cracked portions. Dowelling
to the existing may serve to help the bond but it will restrain
shrinkage so you may expect more cracks. An overlay material (latex
modified?) may be a better answer than a portland cement mix BUT....that
is big $$$ and low production rate work.

Even at 2 inches, there is a potential for problems but
 atleast you have a chance. Suggest that you require a LOT of joints, or
place it in strips and full depth sawcut, in addition to all of Harold's
sugestions. Less cement and more, larger aggregate = less
shrinkage.............

Richard W. Stone, P.E.
Project Executive
Technical Services/Project Management/Estimating
Concept Design/Engineering/Quality Assurance

Madison Concrete Construction Company
130 Quaker lane
Malvern, PA 19355-2479
email: rstone(--nospam--at)madisonconcrete.com
Voice:       610.695.8800
Facsimile: 610.695.8678

Nextel:      610.496.5764

Visit our webpage at  www.madisonconcrete.com  !!!!

--
5                                Message:0005
5