Brick Parapet Support

Hi - I have a 12" wide brick parapet, 9' above a supporting beam in a historic building. The architect wants to remove 3' of the parapet, just above the beam in order to install windows. This will make the brick portion of the parapet wall 6' high above the windows and beam.  I will place a steel post at 3' on center to support some type of lintel, which will support the brick.  Any ideas on what I should do?  Should I use a steel angle, or try to reinforce the brick, etc?  How is the lintel installed before the brick is removed?

Regards,
Andy Richardson
Bluffton, SC