Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 8:41 AM
Subject: RE: drop panel reinfocement

There are 2 considerations:
1.  Alternate bay loading may put some reverse moment and tension in the bottom of the drop panel.
2.  Minimum crack control steel is a good idea for issues like thermal, creep & shrinkage, seismic, etc.

If there is no steel to control the cracks, the cracks get big and ugly.  If you have some minimum steel, the cracks are still there, but they remain fairly tight and "controlled".

Regards,
Harold Sprague