Re: Excel and Printing /Pagination

On Sep 19, 2008, at 6:00 AM, Jordan Truesdell, PE wrote:

In other words, nobody really expected to ever have to print Excel sheets in a orderly, repeatable manner. As a result, the programmers were lazy and decided that only a "relative" printing size was necessary. Par for the course with MS. "You can do anything you want to do with your computer, as long as it exactly matches what we thought you should do."
I hate to beat this to death, but I've been using Excel since 1987 when it was Mac-only, and never run into printing issues like these, including the times when I was dragooned into using Excel on Windows or when I ran a sheet from one platform with Excel on another. Cross platform work used to require a translation program on my Mac but not now. I ran different fonts and different printers (including Quickdraw and Postscript printers) but it didn't seem to matter--all the printing was orderly and repeatable. Even the pdfs made from spreadsheets look good.

I'm sure no apologist for the Microsoft Way, but I do believe in Excel (until some clot removed VBA from the Mac version). Sounds more and more like a driver issue--I know Windows has such problems--and they could certainly vary between machines and Windows versions and printers.

http://www.skypoint.com/members/chrisw/