From: Christopher Wright [mailto:chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com]
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2008 10:59 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Excel and Printing /Pagination

On Sep 19, 2008, at 6:00 AM, Jordan Truesdell, PE wrote:

> In other words, nobody really expected to ever have to print Excel
> sheets in a orderly, repeatable manner. As a result, the
> programmers were lazy and decided that only a "relative" printing
> size was necessary. Par for the course with MS. "You can do
> anything you want to do with your computer, as long as it exactly
> matches what we thought you should do."
I hate to beat this to death, but I've been using Excel since 1987
when it was Mac-only, and never run into printing issues like these,
including the times when I was dragooned into using Excel on Windows
or when I ran a sheet from one platform with Excel on another. Cross
platform work used to require a translation program on my Mac but not
now. I ran different fonts and different printers (including
Quickdraw and Postscript printers) but it didn't seem to matter--all
the printing was orderly and repeatable. Even the pdfs made from
spreadsheets look good.

I'm sure no apologist for the Microsoft Way, but I do believe in
Excel (until some clot removed VBA from the Mac version). Sounds more
and more like a driver issue--I know Windows has such problems--and
they could certainly vary between machines and Windows versions and
printers.

1864)
http://www.skypoint.com/members/chrisw/