Re: Shear center of L-shape beam

On Sep 24, 2008, at 7:53 AM, Jordan Truesdell, PE wrote:

The reference I just checked (Beer & Johnson 1981), shows a force aligned with the centerline of a leg will produce no torsion. That's as much as they give for an angle. I'm sure someone has a better reference, but that tends to suggest your method makes sense.
Most structural design and strength of materials textbooks show how to figure the shear center from the shear flow in each of the cross- sectional elements. The shear center is the point about which the individual shear flows exert no net moment.

Doubly symmetric sections have the shear center at the section centroid. Singly symmetric sections have the shear center somewhere along the axis of symmetry, but not at the section centroid. For angles the shear flows are directed toward the heel of the angle, so there's no net moment about the heel. That's where the shear center is, so any load directed at the heel produces no torsion.

http://www.skypoint.com/members/chrisw/