Re: Shear center of L-shape 'concrete' beam

On Sep 25, 2008, at 7:23 AM, Wontae Kim wrote:

I have more questions to your answers posted.
Do you think that shear center is on 'the centerline of a vertical leg'?
If you're talking about an angle, the shear center is at the intersection of both legs--the heel of the angle. If you're talking about a section with a single axis of symmetry, the shear center is on that axis, but it's actual location depends on the details of the section. A standard channel for example has the shear center at half- depth and on the opposite side of the web from the flanges. If you have a doubly symmetric section the shear center coincides with the section centroid. The shear center of any wide flange or standard I- section is at the half-depth and half-width. (I think I'm repeating myself)

The short answer to your question is 'not necessarily.' The real answer is, 'If what you call the 'vertical leg' is an axis of symmetry, the shear center is on the vertical leg. If the vertical leg isn't an axis of symmetry, the shear center is elsewhere.

So, is shear center the intersection of vertical and horizontal centerline rather than center of mass?
Only for a doubly symmetric section. Try to use the right terminology. 'Center of mass' is used when you're talking about weights and balances; The term 'centroid' is used when you're referring to cross-section geometry. You don't want to get these terms confused. You might also want to go back and read up on the definition of shear center in your structural design book.

http://www.skypoint.com/members/chrisw/