From: J.M. Cohen [mailto:sammie2810(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 2:42 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Question on "independent structurally" w.r.t. foundations

I am seeking a publishd definition in a code, specification, or possibly in design guidelines that defines "structural independent" with respect to foundations.

We need to design a new addition to an existing building that must be "structurally independent" from the existing building.

We know what to do above the foundation.

What about the foundation?  Must the foundations be physically separate with non-overlapping pressure bulbs?  Or, can the new foundation (say, footings) have rebar doweled into then grouted, and cast against the existing foundation (again, say, footings) *if* the geotechnical engineer doesn't think that differential settlement will be a problem?

Thank you!
S.T.