RE: Shear center of L-shape 'concrete' beam

On Sep 25, 2008, at 3:04 PM, Alexander Bausk wrote:

> Well, here's a brute force solution. I've fed my Ansys/ED with your
> section and it says the shear center is at x=147.5mm, y=182.3mm.
> It's halfway from centroid to centerline intersection.

Whatever ANSYS or any other software says, This is simple mechanics logic. The shear flow is along the length of any thin section. Thus the center has to be at the intersection of the two centerlines in an angle.

Syed A Masroor
Consulting Structural Engineer
Karachi, Pakistan