Doug. Fir Lumber Grades

I am checking an existing "panelized" roof system, (cira 1970's), for the addition of equipment and screening on the roof. Ever since, I believe, the '94 UBC there have been stress values for doug. fir 2x and 4x for "No. 1" and "No. 1 and Better", and I have never understood when it is appropriate to use the "No. 1 and Better" values. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance,

Larry Hauer, S.E.