Re: Seismic Charges

Rich,
First, a suggestion of what to present to the client:  Ask the client for concerns and intentions for his consultation.  I presume he wants to know whether the events will affect his structure, and want compensation for damage.  That being the case, get a geotechnical report in the general area, giving them the direction of your interest, and request their comments.  If the explosion site is far away, you might want one closer to it also, but difficult to obtain.  Expecting that the contractors have a geotech report, try to get a copy of it.  Not likely.
Then, photographically document the heck out of the entire structure, focusing on expected areas of concern.  Then compare a before and after.  You might be able to forego the geotech.  You can get it later if needed.  Just take even more photos.

Some background:
I've delt with several structural issues related to sudden seismic "trauma" (for a lack of a better word) to local area.  Only one prior to the event.  The rest were related to insurance claims or lawsuits.  The former was loading his guns for a claim, which was the result.

It's a very difficult prediction.  Our theories , at best, result in a tabulation of academic forces that with hope, will result in a design that will resist the "real" forces.  Predicting it backward is iffy, as my mom would have said.

You can probably predict where the areas highest stress might be, and likely places of observed distress, and document those areas best.

Jerry D. Coombs

>>> "Rich Lewis" <seaint04(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com> 10/1/2008 9:27 PM >>>

I was asked a question today that I haven’t seen addressed before.  A client told us they oil and gas industry around his plant was going to be setting off seismic charges for exploration.  The plant in located in Louisiana.  He wanted to know how it might affect his facilities.  We asked him to find out where the charges will be set and what size charge they will be, the energy released.   I’m not sure how I would evaluate the affect on the building.  Obviously we don’t want to set a charge off near a building.  Are there any specific items we should be considering when responding to their questions?  I thinking this may be more of a geotechnical question then a structural question.   Is there any method of converting explosive underground charges into something like a seismic event on a building?

Thanks for your help.

Rich