Bad Codes

I just purchased the ACI 318-08 Concrete Code.  My wife called me at work and said I had a package waiting for me.  I love getting packages.  I knew it was the new Concrete Code because I had just ordered it.  So I looked forward to coming home to break into that book and see the progress our "cement buddies" had in making the Code a much improved document, especially our own dear Appendix D, which has succeeded in creating a whole new structural discipline of engineers that specialize exclusively in the design of CONCRETE ANCHORS (caps mine to honor a subject that ACI has seen fit to make as sophisticated as the wind provisions of ASCE.)  What was the first thing I found in the package?  Placed on top of the Code book so that it stood out proudly as if claiming, "Look at me!  I am very Important!"  Yep, Code Errata!  A brand new code that isn't even accepted by code bodies and hasn't even been purchased by most practicing engineers, and there are four pages of ERRORS, whoops, excuse me, Errata.  Can't anybody get a code book published without errors?  Errata?  B.S., these are errors.  I don't care if they are the publishers' proof reader's errors or just stupidity in writing these books.  When I do structural calculations, I don't do this kind of careless work.  I submit my calcs to the City then I routinely follow up with errata?  I don't think so.  Everyone makes mistakes but the codes make them routinely and treat them as if they are just another facet of the code.

As a Structural Engineer licensed in the four western states, I find the constant necessity of correcting codes with constant errata totally unacceptable.

Robert Garner, S.E.

R. Garner

Moffatt & Nichol

Tel.:  (619) 220-6050