Re: R values for vertical combinations exceptions

IIRC, the SEAOC Blue Book had commentary/language that a designer can reasonably argue the moment frame design force based on a lower R while the balance of the structure is designed for the higher R value for shetthed wood walls.  Most building departments have accepted this argument before.

As for the rowhouse, if 3 stories tall, I don't think a moment frame or wood shearwall building would meet the building separation requirements at 1".  Good luck.