RE: Bad Codes

Who is enforcing ACI 318-08?  The current IBC & CBC reference “05”.

From: Daniel Popp [mailto:drp181(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2008 10:25 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Bad Codes

Robert,

I had the same experience -- opening the 318-08 package and being greeted by a nine-page errata list.  I immediately sent it back to ACI with a polite letter explaining that as a practicing engineer, I did not have time to incorporate this excessive number of errata and that I would like a second printing when available.  After one reminder five months later, ACI did send me a second printing, which has only a few errata, none of which affect any design provisions (e.g. typos in definitions or commentary).

In my letter, I suggested that they not sell the remaining first printings, but judging from your recent experience, it appears that they might have.  AISC had the same situation with the 2005 Seismic Provisions, but they issued a recall and replaced all of the faulty versions at no charge.

Best regards,
Daniel Popp, S.E.