Re: Citing Publications In Your Technical Writing

On Oct 2, 2008, at 3:02 PM, bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc wrote:

If you do any technical writing such as specifications, reports, etc., where you have occasion to cite other references such as design codes and standards, ASTM specs, etc., what rules do you use to format the citations?

I use the same rules I see in technical reports or text books. I've also used _Elements of Style_ by Strunk and White, except when I can't put my hands on it right away which is usually. At the same time I don't there are any hard and fast rules for this like those forced on you when you did term papers. The important thing is to make sure there's enough information for someone to recover the edition you're citing. The document number or ISBN just by itself will usually be enough, but I usually put in all the rest. I've never been called on it.

http://www.skypoint.com/members/chrisw/