Wall framing with I-Joists

List,

I have a residential project in CA, where the architect is considering
using 12" nominal I-joists for wall framing, to provide additional
insulation space, and to create a thick wall.

Usually, to get the thick walls, the walls are double framed.  I have
not seen or worked on a project that uses I-Joist in wall framing.  I
talked to TrusJoist, and they told me that we are on our own if we are
to use them for walls.  The architect told me that this system is used
in Europe, and some in Canada.

I'm wondering if there is a whole industry out there that supports this
kind of construction, that I'm completely unaware of (providing
connectors, blocking system etc.).  The I-joists are not designed for
large axial compression.  I imagine we would have web blocking in many
places, and it would just cost too much to build.

I appreciate any input and suggestion on this.

Thank you very much.

YI YANG, S.E.
<http://www.summit-sr.com/>

Do you really need to print this e-mail?