From: Yi Yang [mailto:YI(--nospam--at)summit-sr.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 12:07 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Wall framing with I-Joists

List,

I have a residential project in CA, where the architect is considering using 12" nominal I-joists for wall framing, to provide additional insulation space, and to create a thick wall.

Usually, to get the thick walls, the walls are double framed.  I have not seen or worked on a project that uses I-Joist in wall framing.  I talked to TrusJoist, and they told me that we are on our own if we are to use them for walls.  The architect told me that this system is used in Europe, and some in Canada.

I'm wondering if there is a whole industry out there that supports this kind of construction, that I'm completely unaware of (providing connectors, blocking system etc.).  The I-joists are not designed for large axial compression.  I imagine we would have web blocking in many places, and it would just cost too much to build.

I appreciate any input and suggestion on this.

Thank you very much.

YI YANG, S.E.

Do you really need to print this e-mail?