Re: Wall framing with I-Joists

Yi,

As for reference to Europe, timber manufacturers propose I-joists for heavily insulated walls ('passive houses'). See this illustration, for example (link text in German).
"I-Träger" stands for "I-joist":

http://www.ais-online.de/6/resourcefile/21/86/68/default218668_6.html

Lignotrend, for example, produces such wall systems. Here's a summary and illustration on their website, again in German. It is even referred to as the "wall of the future":

http://www.lignotrend.de/massivholz-bausystem/bauteile/wand/aussenwand-passivhaus

The bad news is that the Dämmständer I-joist (see picture on the right) that is embedded into the wall is actually NOT a bearing element. See that "tragendes Brettsperrholz" there - that will be "structural cross-laminated timber", Ligno Fux 4S.

Regards,
Alex.

--
Alexander Bausk