From: WISH DENNIS [mailto:dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net]
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2008 10:33 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Wall framing with I-Joists

Plywood web joists are not, to my knowledge, intended to be used for axial loading in stud walls. With that said, I suppose it could be considered no different from building out a bearing plumbing wall where, instead of building  a double wall, two 2x studs are placed with their weak axis normal to the wall. The web would then act to brace the top and bottom chord/studs laterally. I think the issue is what has it been tested for?
I've used Parallam studs because the use of microlams posses a problem when nailing plywood as the spacing of nails becomes critical before the laminations will split. The best rule is to look at parallams and Microlams as beams or joists and checking the manufacturer's specifications for the size and maximum spacing of the nails which will limit the shear on the wall.
The other issue is that the PSL and LVL lumber is excellent for reducing a tall wall finish as they have little or no cupping of the studs. The downside is that they are hard as hell to nail - especially PSL lumber. I think the savings in labor and materials for the use of PSL studs in designs that require tall walls such as a church santuary, the PSL is worth the cost as it will save in material scrap and in labor that may be required with conventional stud walls to shim the walls where the eye can see the crown of the studs to get the gypsum finish with the least amount of billible hours.

Check with your I-Joist supplier for any test data for the use of plywood web joists as possible use in stud walls. You may find that building a double wall is easier.

Dennis S. Wish, PE
California Professional Engineer
Structural Engineering Consultant