From: Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc. [mailto:design(--nospam--at)hodgsoneng.ca]
Sent: Friday, October 10, 2008 5:03 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Bad Codes

What is this thing you call retirement?

I'm afraid you can be as demanding as you want but it won't do you any
good and I'm not knocking the people who write the codes.  Having served

on a committee to write a new Canadian standard for EOT cranes, I
learned there is more to the process than writing the technical stuff,
at least here.  It then goes to the Can Standards Assoc who ensure that
the document conforms to their numbering and heading system, and that
the English grammar, spelling and syntax are correct.  Some of this will

have been done along the way, but when the final draft is approved, we
don't see it again.  Then it goes to the printer who has to type-set it
or whatever they do these days and again this is where errors can creep
in.  I have been told (so pls correct me if I am wrong) that many of the

American codes or standards go thru this vetting process in house so
that they don't have the equivalent CSA vetting.
The type-setters, or whoever, have a problem with many of the formulas
and then many of the printing companies that used to do this work have
disappeared as technology made them redundant or behind the times. Most
of this is anecdotal but came from a reliable source who has had to get
a standard published.
And this leads me to a little anecdote. The class of 1984 of the Royal
Military College(my school) wanted to get commemorative pewter beer mugs

made for their graduation.  The college motto is "Truth, Duty, Valour"
and and this was to be printed on the mugs along with the college coat
of arms.  The low bidder was out of Michigan and the graphic was sent to

the firm for production.
Approximately 200 mugs arrived with "Truth, Duty, Valor" which the
company had to replace free of charge.
Gary