RE: Wall framing with I-Joists

Hi,

Some engineers in the bay area have used I-joist as vertial members in post and beam strawbale buildings. they stack the bales vertically between the I-joist (no running bond) I they count on the lateral support provided by the strawbales and plaster skins to prevent buckling. this allows them to stack the bales on edge- strings facing in and outside of the building for a 14-15" thick bale section instead of 24"wide.
so if you want straw for insulation in the walls -- it has been done

Tim Rudolph PE
Bishop,CA