Full Pen Weld at Channel

For you steel fabricating welding gurus  out there, I am looking a stair stringer that is cantilevered and requires a full pen weld at the joint from the sloped portion of the stringer to the horizontal landing.  I think the B-U2 groove weld would be the way to go as there is no requirement for weld tabs.  It appears that it can be used at the flanges with the angle and the base metal thickness is unlimited.

Is this what is customarily called for on a full pen weld on a stair stringer or something else?  If this is acceptable, can the near side and far side be ground  flush?

Thanks,

Joe

Joseph R. Grill, PE