Re: RE: Full Pen Weld at Channel

"putty and paint make a carpenter what he ain't"

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 7:41 AM, Garner, Robert <rgarner(--nospam--at)moffattnichol.com> wrote:
Mark,

Interesting that you should mention specifying Bondo.  I've done some AESS and for a certain project, we specified "Automotive Quality" paint on the AESS.  This required surface prep not unlike concrete, but instead of dry sacking the surface, it was given a skim coat of Bondo before sanding and painting.  This was a real specialty project and it was painted - yes - Candy Apple Red!  This was a real "red iron" job.

Bob G.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Gilligan [mailto:m_k_gilligan(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 11:10 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: RE: Full Pen Weld at Channel

While the partial pen weld may sidestep several issues I am not convinced that you cannot produce a full pen weld without weld access holes.  I would appreciate reasons why this is not possible.

While the weld may not be pre-qualified it is not clear why a weld  without a weld access hole cannot be qualified.

Weld access holes are needed to allow access of the electrode but if you can weld from outside you could sidestep this requirement.  This might result in a larger weld volume on one side in order to get access but it appears doable.

If you weld the web after the flanges are welded you  have an opportunity to deal with defects in the root.  This might not be elegant and may require a fair amount of grinding but it might be the answer in some situations where weld access holes are not visually acceptable.

In some ways UT might be easier without weld access holes since you do not need to deal with the discontinuity due to the 90 degree connection and the use of weld tabs that are left in place.

Of coarse the other option would be to use the weld access holes and fill it with bondo..  It intrigues me that this is not used more often for architectural steel.  Any suggestions on how to specify bondo.

Mark Gilligan

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org

--