From: Mark D. Baker <shake4bake(--nospam--at)verizon.net>
Subject: RE: Seismic Factors for Soil Nail Walls
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Date: Friday, October 17, 2008, 3:40 PM

Refugio,

On a recent project, the geotech and I discussed his basis for the kh value he was providing. In a nutshell he said after all their research on the methods for determining kh, they concluded that they would always specify ½ of the PGA and feel comfortable with that recommendation.

Incorporating seismic into retaining structures certainly impacts the design of structure, ½ or more of PGA is a substantial force to account for.

Mark D. Baker

Baker Engineering